Sunday, September 14, 2008

Gray Is The New Blond!

After finally deciding to get off the hair color merry-go-round and let my hair "be", I am learning to embrace my gray. At first, I felt it necessary to point out to people that I had gray hair, not because I wanted them to notice, but because I didn't want them to think I didn't notice it. Now my gray hair is all "grown out" and my natural color is shining through the remnants of whatever the last shade I put on my hair was. Frankly, it has been so long since I saw my natural color that I was afraid I wouldn't like it more than I would dislike the gray. I thought about a rinse or something that would enhance my own color without covering the gray. In the end, I opted to just let my hair be. And I love it! I love the shade of brown that it is. And I absolutely love the gray! I feel like it's a perfect highlight job that doesn't cost me a cent and never needs touching up.


But more than that, I feel like my hair matches who I am now. As I look at the women around me, I see many who color their hair, well into their, let's say "older than I am" age. Their faces and bodies betray their age, even if their jet black or golden blond hair does not. I don't fault them for it, but I finally decided that it wasn't for me. Not that I want to look old. The natural perception may persist that someone with gray hair looks older, but frankly I don't think I look any older than when I covered my gray hair. And to me that it a blessing. I wear my gray hair with honor, because I am blessed to be old enough to have it.

1 comment: