Monday, October 6, 2008

Cat's in the Cradle

I'm reading a Bible study right now and it's talking about what God's purposes in our lives are. There is a distinction between our tasks or our jobs, and our calling. We definitely have particular jobs, some that we choose and some that were chosen for us. For those of us who are believers, we also have a calling, God's calling. The Bible study asked how I would know if God desired to redirect my assignment or mission. I believe God speaks to my heart, that I hear him. But sadly, I admit, I don't always follow his voice. I have felt him calling me to do some things in the past that I have let fall by the wayside. I didn't pursue them and they simply faded away. At times, I questioned whether they were actually for me or not. But as I look back, I think they were missed opportunities for me. It's all very Cat's in the Cradle, when you don't know it was there all the time, until one day it's gone. You don't have the chance to participate in the life of someone any longer. How sad is that? We have all had those experiences in our lives, where someone who should have been a willing participant in our lives or the lives of someone we love, chose not to engage. What if God were that way? What if you said to God, "when you coming home, dad?" and God said, "I don't know when, but we'll get together then. You know we'll have a good time then." Thank you God for not living that kind of life with us. Even though we let our jobs, our past times, our lives get in the way of seeking you, you never give up on us, you're always there for us. "I'm gonna be like him, yeah, you know I want to be like him!"http://www.birdsnest.com/catcrad.htm

No comments: